Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Sovereignity of the Duke

DzieƄ dobry!
     Upon receiving my degrees from QC, it is my goal to become an academic librarian. In preparation for that career I am working in the Inter-Library Loan department at Fordham University. So, when I set out to find a model example of library blogging, I
naturally wanted it to be in reference to an Academic Library. Since Fordham is the 56th most prestigious school in the country, and since it has a particularly grand library, I figured I would start at "home."
     To my horror, I discovered that there is nary a blog nor a feed employed on the university Website. This seemed particularly backward and inefficient, so I set my sights higher to see if the Ivy Leaguers were making better headway into the world of 2.0, at least in regard to these two 2.0 technologies.
     I began with Princeton. On the library's home page I did not see a single mention of a library blog. However, buried in the middle of the bottom of the page was a link that said "subscribe to our newsfeed." In what I considered to be a strange choice, that link brought me to a page with a heading that said "What Web feeds are available from the library." The fourth item down was entitled "Blogs." Happy to read this, I went on to discover that all of the 5 or 6 library blogs were specific to separate subject libraries within Princeton. I didn't see any general-type of library-related blog, such as one entitled, "sources and services," or "copyright issues."
     I then moved on to Yale. Again, no mention of a blog on the main university library Website. There was a very small area of "news" with a feed available, but that was all. The news was of a very general nature covering the entire library as a whole.
     However, when I tried Duke University I was very pleasantly surprised. They utilized the advantages of the blog in their entirety. Right in the middle of a clear and neatly organized home page for the University's library were the words, "Blog Posts," in all capital letters. When clicked, those words brought me to a page headed with the words, "Library Blogs." Eureka! Some blogs were specific to a subject area, such as the Humanities. Many were related to more library-specific issues of great importance. One blog dealt with copyright issues and was listed under "Scholarly Communication." Another dealt with Instructional Technology. Another was entitled, "Library Answer Person." Still another, "Library Hacks." Then there was a Digital Collections blog, a Preservation blog, and many more. There were 16 rich and well-organized library blogs in all. They were all fully functional, many with video and/or other assets. At the top of the list was a banner which displayed a "Featured Blog" title with samples from four of its posts. Each blog had a working feed symbol so visitors could easily subscribe. Beneath the title of each blog were 1 to 3 bullet points helping to provide a brief description of its nature.
     I've worked and volunteered in an academic library for a year now. I have seen first hand how many different departments make up the whole, and how differently each department works toward a different objective. Because of this, it is exceedingly easy to see how the Duke University blogging scheme reigns supreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Blogroll