Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tweets or Twits?

My past experience with Twitter had been very frustrating. I simply didn't get it. Perhaps it was just a bad IPhone application, I don't know. I was just frustrated because it didn't seem clear as to how I was supposed to use this tool. So I gave it up. Now, setting up a new Twitter account in this class was a totally different experience, although also somewhat disappointing.
I don't know if the improved experience was because I was using a desktop computer and not my IPhone, or if it was because of the "new Twitter" format, but it was clear as to what I was supposed to do. It was an exceedingly streamlined process that eased me along a very different path of tweeting this time around. I enjoyed the set-up process thoroughly. I loved that this was about keeping up with MY interests and not about answering friend requests and making small talk with people. It was quick, simple, easy, and personalized. What more could one want?
    The answer to that one came along the next time I signed on. More. One could want more. I was so excited about getting these cool and useful bursts of information from people and companies and causes that I thought were interesting. It just wasn't like that. People whined, complained, vented. Companies offered useless soundbites. Comedians weren't actually being funny. I'm going to reserve my final judgment for a later date after I have signed on a few more times and have had a chance to really evaluate the tool, but so far, not so good.
     There are indeed very good reasons for libraries to use Twitter. Perhaps there are more reasons for libraries to use Twitter than there are reasons for everyday people to use Twitter. Libraries need to stay relevant and even popular, especially with the younger generation. Twitter is very popular with young people. Young people are not going to look in the snail mail for a library newsletter to find out that cool things are actually happening there. But, they will use twitter. And, Twitter is free. Printing newsletters is not free at all. Also, if a library is determined to be accessible and help every patron that needs help, Twitter is a good way to draw out the shy patron that feels stupid asking a question because it can be anonymous and very very quick. Twitter can handle general questions - directional questions - easily. Twitter can easy foster book discussion or even facilitate the formation of book clubs.
     In a specific library, say - the one I work in - Twitter can be used in a variety of ways. I work at Walsh Library in the Bronx at Fordham University. Walsh could utilize Twitter to keep students and faculty abreast of changes in the library's schedule, such as extended hours during Final Exams - for different areas of the library. For my specific department in Walsh Library, Interlibrary Loan, Twitter could be used to easily handle renewal requests. It would also be helpful to use Twitter to notify members of the Fordham community about special events in the library. It could be used to notify all patrons when a new item arrives and is available for lending. It could also be used to let alumni know about borrowing privileges and the fees associated with them.
     So perhaps there are tweets and there are twits, as opposed to tweets OR twits. Perhaps it is not all good or all bad. Perhaps it is all in the way in which it is used. Library use of Twitter is certainly a "best practice" when it comes to tweeting. Tweet-on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Blogroll